‘Check & Connect’ Programme
Check and Connect – NBSS
15 Teachers are currently trained and delivering this programme in RCS.
Check and Connect is an intervention designed to enhance a student’s engagement at school and with learning. NBSS team members work with partner schools on the implementation of this intervention which consists of four key elements:
- An adult mentor who keeps education relevant for students.
- Systematic monitoring (the “check” component).
- Timely and individualised intervention (the “connect” component).
- Enhancing home-school communication and home support for learning.
In NBSS partner schools teachers volunteer to become mentors. The mentors:
- Work to create positive relationships with a young person, his/her family and school.
- Promote regular school participation in academic, social and emotional learning.
- Keep school progress a relevant issue for the student and parents.
Each mentor links with one student, checking in regularly with that student to discuss how they are doing and offering support in a number of ways. For example:
- Providing ongoing, consistent and timely monitoring of a student’s behaviour for signs of withdrawal and disengagement: lates, absences, skipped classes, failing tests, falling behind with homework, conduct sheets, detentions, suspensions, etc.
- Implementing timely interventions/supports to ensure student achievement and well being, when appropriate.
- Working with other teachers, management and other support staff to help the student be successful.
- Problem solving with the student when difficulties arise
NBSS team members work with partner schools on the planning, implementation and mentor training for the Check and Connect intervention.